Tuesday, April 03, 2007

OK, now for the rant. It took such a long time to start ( we only started WALKING about 30mins after the scheduled starting time) so by the time we got up to a run I had run out of breakfast energy. I had had my oats at about 6.30am and it was already past 9am. Lucky I had some GU Energy Gel on me in case of emergency and I felt I needed it at about the 6km mark. I think it really helped.
I've never been in a race before but I think if you're planning on walking the whole thing, the right thing to do is start at the back. It doesnt affect your time as its measured from when you cross the start line. It was a little annoying to see people walking together (arms linked, 5 0r 6 people across) and having to run around them and weave in and out of others who decided it was the perfect time to take photos (in the middle of the road!!) My second complaint was that there were only three drink stations (water only) and the first one was right near the start. I saw the queue for the first one and thought "I'll just go to the next one". Little did I know that the next one was what seemed like 10kms away!! Also, there wasnt even one at the end!! Talk about water restrictions!!
Anyway, back to HIIT for a while now. Gym sessions will be short and intense and I'm thinking of getting some Cathe DVD's for that extra push. She seems hard which I love! I'll have a fairly easy week this week though - I am a little stiff. Not too easy though as I'd love to have a bit of the "c" word on Easter Sunday!
Had a bit of a bad day the other day with nuts and dried fruit (I just couldnt stop picking) so I decided to offload them and packed them into hubby's work bag so his co-workers can put on weight instead of me!! Haha!

1 Comments:

At 8:53 PM, Blogger Kek said...

Here's what I do before a longer event:

Breakfast - oats plus milk plus banana (plus maybe a bit of honey)

30 minutes or so pre-race - Fruit and/or 1/2 a Powerbar. Or if it's a really long event, a serve of Catapult.

Every 30 minutes - half a Powerbar or a good few glugs of Powerade.

Post-race - more Powerade (you need the electrolytes, specially if you sweat a lot) PLUS a serve of Race Recovery immediately, then some real food (something low GI is ideal) within an hour of finishing.

You perform much better AND pull up better afterwards with the right nutrition. Bugger the calories too - it's not like you do this every day.

Ask me next time - I'll give you some of the supplements.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home